POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray and Blender : Re: Povray and Blender Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray and Blender
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 18 Jul 2007 16:30:02
Message: <web.469e7741dedc19f1c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
PdG <pdg### [at] INTERMERDAgmailcom> wrote:
> I'm going mad!
> I want to use blender to model some mesh, and then render it using pov.
> Now i've tried to export it using wavefront, using povanim, using a lot of
> tools but every time i get awful results, especially with the normals.
>
> For example: consider a cylinder. I've made it in blender, i've smoothed,
> and render it. It goes well.
> Now, every exports i made, the results is like this:
>
> http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/6343/mainfg4.jpg
>
> Something is a little better, something not, anyway there's always an ugly
> black area away from the light source.
>
> Any Idea? How can i use shaded mesh from blender to pov?
>
> Thanks.

I've had a look at this and deconstructed the mesh.
First of all, the normals all point inward, which isn't such a big deal, as
they all point inward, not just some.

What is causing your problem though is the normals for the sides are not
normal to the cylinder, they are oriented as if there is a smooth
transition from the sides to the cap instead of being a sharp edge.  This
causes POV to treat the mesh as being curved more like a sphere and shades
it as such.  I don't use Blender, so I don't know how exporting works, but
you need to limit the angle at which the normals are smoothed for, so the
side meshes are smoothed around the cylinder, but not up and down the
cylinder.

-tgq